It’s not easy to feed your family a healthy home cooked meal that is quick and easy AND they will actually enjoy. I know that kids need to learn to eat vegetables in their natural form and hopefully learn to like them. But sometimes it’s nice to sit down to a meal together with your picky eater that doesn’t include bartering or whining. One that doesn’t involve fast food.
This hidden veggie mac & cheese will have them gobbling up their vegetables without even knowing it. Maybe even begging for seconds!
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, Which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something. Please check out my Disclosure Policy for more details.
Here’s how to make it:
Fill a medium or large saucepan about a quarter full with water and set to boil. Once boiling add the chopped cauliflower and carrots then cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
Add squash then cover and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. I use the President’s Choice pre-chopped stuff from the frozen section as I find butternut squash hard to chop. Drain (save 3/4 C of the water) and then let them cool for a few minutes so that the steam doesn’t blow the lid off of your blender. The cooling isn’t as necessary if you’re using a Vitamix as they are made to handle hot liquids.
Blend the veggies and the 3/4 cups of water that you saved until smooth. (you can find my fav blender here) Pour it into a large saucepan that is on med-low heat.
Add the remaining ingredients (except pasta) and stir until smooth again. Cook pasta according to the package, drain and then stir together with the sauce.
Serve and get ready for all the complements to come rolling in!
Macaroni & Cheese with Hidden Veggies
- 3 carrots peeled & sliced
- 1 small head cauliflower cut into pieces
- 2 cups butternut squash diced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tbsp butter
- 16 ounces macaroni pasta
- Fill saucepan 1/4 full with water and boil.
- Add cauliflower and carrots, cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Add squash, cover and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Drain (save 3/4 cup water) and let cool for a few minutes.
- Blend veggies and reserved water until smooth.
- Pour into a large saucepan on med-low heat.
- Add milk, salt, cheddar, butter, and cream cheese and stir until smooth.
- Cook pasta according to directions, drain and stir into sauce.
If you enjoyed this Hidden Veggie Mac & Cheese recipe, don’t forget to pin it for later!
If you liked this post then you also might enjoy these: